The second discussion post for the Outlander Reading Challenge is up! As noted, I will be posting monthly meme’s/discussions for both reading challenges I am hosting, Outlander and Game of Thrones. These are meant purely for fun and by no means required to participate in the challenges. I will post five questions for you all to mull over and I will answer one of the questions myself to start off the discussion. I also invite you to post your favorite quote or passage from the book as well.
Remember to link your responses or reviews back to your blog using the Mr Linky on the corresponding Monthly Meme page or you can simply leave your response in the comments. The goal is to have some fun discussions and talk about the books.
Challenge participants hopefully you all have had some time to read the first two books or are making progress in the series, but if not no worries we do have all year . No matter where you are in the book or series, you are more than welcome to discuss the book right along with us….
- How did you feel about Claire having sex with the King to free Jamie? Did you feel like it was a betrayal to Jamie or was it just a sacrifice she had to make? If you were Jamie would you be upset?
- Was it fair for Claire to tell Brianna about Jamie and the stones when she did? How did you feel about they way Claire told Brianna? If you were Brianna what would you think?
- DFIA moves back and forth between the 1900’s and the 1700’s….was that hard for you to follow? Did you find the story confusing?
- How did you feel about Claire’s arrangement with Black Jack Randall? Was she right to do what she did?
- Did you want Claire to go back through the stones? If she had stayed how might that have changed things?
The Lit Bitch’s Response
Question #1: I was really bugged about Claire and the King having sex. Though in many ways Jamie did a similar thing to save Claire with Captain Randall but still….that felt different for me. I felt like Claire giving her body to the King was more degrading than noble…it seemed so beneath her character for me, I was really bothered.
I know–it wasn’t like she had a whole lot of other options and yes Jamie didn’t hold it against her and no she didn’t enjoy it but still I felt like it was all wrong for her character…I am not sure what I would have done differently, after all it’s not like she fell in love with the King and it was just her body, but still it just seemed off for me and resonated in my mind throughout the series. The circumstance fit and all with the time period and wasn’t totally off base but for me I just felt like that was so wrong on her part to give up the only thing her and Jamie still had after the loss of the baby–trust.
When they do talk about it, Claire admits she was upset with Jamie and felt like he broke the trust first by dueling with Randall and Jamie forgives her as he knows she had no choice but still….to me it was the ultimate betrayal in my mind. Perhaps I am a little jaded but I feel like her having sex with the King will somehow always be something there in the back of both their minds….never able to fully trust or forgive each other in some ways. Though love is forgiveness and Jamie does forgive Claire….he is a bigger person than me. In time though I have come to forgive Claire’s character, but this scene made me see her in an entirely different light.
‘…it’s only the essence of a thing that counts. Then time strips everything else away, it’s only the hardness of the bone that’s left’