The fourth discussion post for the Outlander Reading Challenge is up! As noted, I will be posting monthly meme’s/discussions for both reading challenges I am hosting, Outlander and Game of Thrones.These are meant purely for fun and by no means required to participate in the challenges. I will post five questions for you all to mull over and I will answer one of the questions myself to start off the discussion. I also invite you to post your favorite quote or passage from the book as well.
Remember to link your responses or reviews back to your blog using the Mr Linky on the corresponding Monthly Meme page or you can simply leave your response in the comments. The goal is to have some fun discussions and talk about the books.
Challenge participants I hope you are all making progress in the series, but if not no worries we do have all year. No matter where you are in the book or series, you are more than welcome to discuss the book right along with us….
- How do you feel about Claire wearing two wedding rings? Is it an insult to Jamie that she still wears her ring from Frank? What did you think of Claire swallowing the rings? (Or at least one of them)
- Do you think Jamie is a violent man by nature, as he says to Claire? Why do you think he says he isn’t a good man?
- What do you think of Roger’s inscription on Brianna’s bracelet: “Jet’aime…un peu…beaucoup…passionnement….pas du tout. I love you.…a little….a lot….passionately….not at all”. In what ways does this inscription foreshadow their relationship?
- How did you feel about Stephen Bonnet raping Brianna? Did you think Brianna was foolish to go on board the Gloriana? Do you think the child is his or Roger’s? Does it matter?
- What do you think of Jocasta’s plan to announce Jamie as her heir without consulting him?
The Lit Bitch’s Response
Question #3: In the previous books I kind of felt like Roger was a bit of a push over and wasn’t a match for Brianna who was so strong and independent. However in this book my opinion of him really changed–especially when he tells Brianna that he will have all of her of nothing—go Roger! Way to be a man! I think the quote he inscribes on her bracelet sums up their relationship nicely.
I love that Roger put his foot down and stated his claim and feelings. I thought it was interesting that Brianna couldn’t do the same–right away at least. I thought that Roger was really ready to love her and commit to her (I think the bracelet inscription shows all his feelings for her very plainly). However Brianna seems very young and almost not ready to love Roger in the same way….call it too proud/prideful, call it stubbornness, call it not being able to control/harness her impulsive feelings……who knows but I don’t know that she was ready and it still seems like she’s a little ‘meah’ on the idea of being married to him even in the end.
For me the inscription illustrates how tormenting love can be. Love can be a whirl wind of emotion and at times, convoluted at best….’I love you one minute and not the next ‘as the inscription implies. I think in his own way, Roger is trying to convey how confused he is about her feelings but at the heart of it all, he still loves her regardless of how she feels about him. He is declaring himself and owning his feelings–the rest is up to Brianna.
Look back, hold a torch to light the recesses of the dark. Listen to the footsteps that echo behind, when you walk alone. All the time the ghosts flit past and through us, hiding in the future. We look in the mirror and see the shades of other faces looking back through the years; we see the shape of memory, standing solid in an empty doorway. By blood and by choice, we make our ghosts; we haunt ourselves.